OWA no longer working
Posted on 2014-04-23
I loaded KB 2917508, update rollup 5 for sp3 exchange 2010. After that, individual outlook users could not connect to exchange nor would OWA work. It was complaining initially that teamviewer was using port 80. I used the checkbox to turn of teamviewer's use of ports 80 and 443 (that was not previously a problem.)
After reading some posts, I uninstalled the update rollup5 and am back at update rollup4. Now the users can connect but I could not connect to owa. I then noticed that the World Wide Web Publishing Service was disabled and after enabling it, OWA was then working.
This is a SBS 2011 server. I noticed that if I did control panel; windows update; I initially had to turn off the firewall to get it to work even though internet access worked. There were two other recent updates and then the rollup5 also did install instead of waiting at about 90%. However, outlook could not connect and OWA did not work.
I turned the firewall back on, uninstalled the rollup5 but it did not say to restart but exchange was still disabled. I manually renabled only the exchange items and outlook connectivity was restored. I then restarted the server and outlook connectivity worked and I could email in and out. OWA did not work until I manually set the World Wide web publishing service to Automatic and started it.
Now the Windows UPdate works and connects even with the firewall on but it again wants to install the Update Rollup 5 and the shut down button states that updates are needed and the system should be shutdown to install.
However, I am reluctant to again try the update rollup 5 install. What needs to be done to make this be successful and for the outlook connectivity and OWA to work properly after the update is installed.