I have 2 Windows 7 pc's I want to network (peer to peer, no domain)
One is Dell and the other is HP.
I already have information on both. I thought about creating a Home network but no one can tell me if this will create new profiles. I want to avoid creating new profiles.
My router has dhcp so it assigns ip addresses.
What I have done so far:
- changed the computer name of the Dell to Pc1
- changed the computer name of the HP to Pc2
- Both pc's belong to the Workgroup group (there is no domain)
- Set both pc's to Work network.
- Made sure network discovery is on.
- Both pc's have a user account called Shared. The same password is assigned for Shared user on both pc's.
Pc1 ip address is 192.168.1.3 and pc2 is 192.168.1.4
I assumed after the above tasks were completed I could enter “ping pc1” from pc2 and get a response. Ping tells me it does not recognize anything called pc1.
I tried "ping 192.168.1.3" from the pc whose IP address is 192.168.1.4 and ping tells me it cannot find 192.168.1.3.
Q1) What steps would you take to determine these 2 pc's are really networked?
Q2.) I assume I need a host file on each pc. What commands would you put into the host files?
Q3.) How would I determine if the Windows firewall is blocking the ping command?