Imaging and DR for a personal computer
Posted on 2014-04-28
I have a client who is trying to address an issue on a home PC. Windows 7. Client is receiving an error claiming hard drive c/d is failing.
c drive is OS partition. D drive is additional partition on same disk that holds the HP recovery image. There are lots of applications on c, but no data. All data is on an external drive.
I'd like to re image the machine onto a new hard drive, but wanted some feedback and suggestions regarding the practicality of the process. The way I see it, I need to do the following;
• Copy all system and application event logs to look for errors
• Review specific failure error client is receiving now
• Insure all data (non app or OS) is off the disk
• Create a disk image on DVD, or some other external drive
• Create boot disk
• Boot to new disk and re-image machine from external drive
Having never actually re-imaged a machine before, I was looking for some suggestions or feedback.
What sort of imaging software is out there that may be good to use? I've seen ghost used, but have never used it myself. Are there other apps out there that may work better?
Any thoughts would be helpful
Thanks in advance.