Our current SharePoint environment is running SharePoint 2010 with 2 WFE's 1 app server and a cluster DB. The whole environment a mess because it was never setup correctly since the web team setup the environment before I started here. Anyway I have been finally given the OK to write a plan on create a new SharePoint environment. this will include setting up the servers, databases, sharepoint install and site authentication. Once this is done with will be handed over to the web team so they can add and manage the content only...
here are my questions.
1) I would like to setup the new environment for performance and redundancy. With 2 WFE's , 2 APP server and a clustered 2012 DB. My manager has asked that I use the same DB server to save on hardware. Would I need to install another instance of SQL on the cluster to do???
2) Our clients use Windows 7 and IE 9 with Office 2010. Should we go with SharePoint 2010 or 2013?
3) Currently external users connect to sharepoint come through our external Netscaler which then redirects users to the ISA server then to the internal SharePoint servers. Is there a better way to do this.
4) My understanding is that even though sharepoint stored all it content in the DB you can only restore a web app or site using a SharePoint farm restore. With this in mind a planned on doing a daily farm backup ontop of the sql backup. Should I use local or remote storage for the farm backup?
5) Right now sharepoint is setup for claims - NTLM and would like to change this to claims-kerbose.
6) I want to keep out test environment in sync with production and create a regually schedule content refresh in test. To do this would I use a SQL or farm restore? The test environment uses difference host name. If I use a farm restore this would remove all of their test web apps correct? If so this is not what I want.
Any tips and suggestion on how to plan and built this environment are greatly apprieachaited.