Windows 8.1 Systems Shuts Down after Resume from Hibernate or Sleep
Posted on 2014-07-14
***ADDENDUM TO BELOW*** I just discovered that it is only when hibernating that this problem occurs. I seem to be able to wake from sleep without a problem. Wondering if it is some issue with the power button itself (as I am correct in that the only way to resume from hibernate is to give the power button a quick click?)
I have recently run into a rather frustrating and annoying issue. Every time I try to put my computer to sleep or to hibernate, it will shut down when I try to resume.
Here's my steps:
1) Select Hibernate
2) Wait for System to Hibernate
3) Push power button
4) System starts to come back on and gets all the way to the screen with the all blue windows logo
5) system shuts down
6) I get angry
7) I have to power it back again but now all my work and apps are gone/closed
1) looking through the Event Viewer but I'm not seeing much in there that could really help me.
2) looking for a dump file but since it's technically not crashing a dump file isn't being generated.
3) the standard googling and binging to try and find someone experiencing my same issue.
4) booting in safe mode to see if it was a driver issue but you can't sleep or hibernate in safe mode.
5) disabling all startup items to see if it was a conflict there
I have tweaked my services in order to get my computer to run as efficiently as possible HOWEVER I always folllowed reputable advice and I never shut any services down that were even remotely sketchy to do so...
So....I basically can't sleep or hibernate anymore. I always have to shut all my applications down and save all my work. ANNOYING. Very Annoying and I would really hate to have to do a clean install to fix it. That would be a major headache.