I'm having a problem with a client who recently replaced his old Win XP "server" with a Win 7 Pro. He also has new Win 7 Pro client machines replacing old XP machines, now 1 out 2 win 7 Pro machines connecting to the win 7 Pro server keeps asking for credentials.
All these machines are in the same Workgroup and have configured through "Advanced sharing settings" to "Turn on network discovery", "Turn on file and printer sharing" and "Turn off password protected sharing" amongst other settings to share.
So I came home and tried this setup on my Win 8.1 Standard desktop and Win 7 Home Premium laptop.
* Added both machines to same workgroup.
* Applied all the "Advanced sharing settings" as above to share without passwords.
* I could see share on the Win 8 machine from win 7 laptop without the need to enter credentials but couldn't see Win 7 shares from Win 8 desktop without entering remote username and password.
* Noticed laptop didn't have AV, installed Trend Micro + updates etc, both now running same AV. Rebooted both machines.
* Tried sharing - same as above, when trying to connect to Win 7 shares, kept asking for credentials.
* Disabled Windows FW on machines and rebooted, still the same Win 7 asks for password but Win 8 doesn't
It seems to be a "random" problem with Win 7 machines, the "Turn off password protected sharing" settings does not work, system keeps asking for Username & Password?