Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 1368
  • Last Modified:

Migration Exchange 2007 -> Exchange 2013 Sp1 Fails after using Remove-MoveRequest with -force

Hi Guys,
Issue:
I am having an issue Moving Mailboxes from and Exchange 2007 Server to an Exchange 2013 Sp1 Server.Both server are part of the same Exchange organization.
Description/ Background:
-I wanted to perform a Mailbox sync on the 221 mailboxes in our organization, with a cut-over at a scheduled time. So I created  batch that included all the mailboxes and set the "Manually complete batch" ON. The mailboxes synced to the new Exchange server with no errors. When I scheduled the cut-over and Clicked the  "Complete Move" link I noticed that the the Exchange server started to sync the Mailboxes from Scratch(meaning from 0%). It was too late for me to cancel the move as it was showing "completing" status on all mailboxes; furthermore, due to the large amount of mailboxes and Data the sync would have taken me out of the Scheduled outage window. I had to cancel the move.
I performed the below commands:
Remove-MigrationBatch -Identity "blablabla" -Force
Remove-MigrationUser <identity> -Force

-The users are still on the old exchange server(2007) and email is still flowing in; however when I try to create a new batch it and run it, it will indeed create it, but then all the users disappear from the batch. The batch becomes Idle with no users in it.
-if I Use EMS to try to move a user manually using: New-MoveRequest -Identity 'bla@bla.com' -TargetDatabase "Mailbox Database" -WhatIf it says:
What if: Creating move request "domain.local/username"
-but there is no move request generated.

-I can see that the Mailbox DB on the new server has data, it is quite large and I know it was a mistake to do what I did but Given the fact that the Company operates 24/7, I was forced to use the method I used.

Any Ideas how resolve this issue so I can start the sync process again? I quite new to Exchange 2013.

Thanks
Adrian
0
Yardstick
Asked:
Yardstick
  • 4
  • 3
2 Solutions
 
AmitIT ArchitectCommented:
Did you ran remove-moverequest command? If not run it and move mailbox again.Ref:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd335149%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx
0
 
YardstickAuthor Commented:
+I just  ran a Get-Moverequest |fl ; nothing returned


+then I ran:
New-MoveRequest -Identity 'user@domain.com' -TargetDatabase "Mailbox Database" -WhatIf

+It returned:
What if: Creating move request "domain.local\user".

====================================================

+when Running: Get-MoveRequest -Identity "user@domain.com"
+It returned
Couldn't find a move request that corresponds to the specified identity 'user@domain.com'.
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-MoveRequest], ManagementObjectNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : [Server=mailserer,RequestId=04eaa562-8ec1-43f1-b17a-1cf80d713328,TimeStamp=7/23/2014 7:0
   5:39 PM] [FailureCategory=Cmdlet-ManagementObjectNotFoundException] 6892001D,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Recipie
  ntTasks.GetMoveRequest
    + PSComputerName        : mailserver.domain.local
0
 
AmitIT ArchitectCommented:
Whatif won't execute any command.  Ok, restart both server one by one and test again.
0
Problems using Powershell and Active Directory?

Managing Active Directory does not always have to be complicated.  If you are spending more time trying instead of doing, then it's time to look at something else. For nearly 20 years, AD admins around the world have used one tool for day-to-day AD management: Hyena. Discover why

 
YardstickAuthor Commented:
-I will schedule the reboot tonight and let you know what happens
0
 
YardstickAuthor Commented:
OK,
-I installed Ru13 for Exchange 2007 Sp3  and rebooted both servers.
-In EMS is ran a get-migrationuser and now it displays the list users that were in "Completing" status before I forced the migration to stop... of course, there was no batch attached to them.
-I then ran: get-migrationuser|remove-migrationuser -force
-I created a new batch with all the users and started running it.
-now it shows the batch(get-migrationbatch) / it shows the move request(get-moverequest) / it shows the migration users attached to a batch (get-migrationbatch)
 
It seems to be going, but I would like to keep the thread open to see if the sync actually goes through by tomorrow morning
0
 
AmitIT ArchitectCommented:
You just leave it for sometime, server will catch up everything and if failed you will see the errors app logs.
0
 
YardstickAuthor Commented:
- the restart was the best answer; however I did take an additional step not specified by Amit "installed Ru13 for Exchange 2007 Sp3 "
0

Featured Post

Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

  • 4
  • 3
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now