"Current Directory" for Excel in vba
Posted on 2014-07-23
I have a system of workbooks that, until today, has been working fine.
I did remove an installation of DownloaderXL which is no longer in use.
Aside from all the coding nuances which I could get into, I'd rather tackle this at a system level.
There are 3 kinds of .xlsm files:
1) a large number of "identical" files which contain different data and can update themselves when run.
They can also close after being run or stay open.
(They close after being run if run in a batch mode from a list. They can stay open if only being run individually.)
2) a Summary file which captures data from those similar files above.
This file includes a list of the other files and can run a Macro which will open the other files one after another.
3) a Control file which provides the parameters to tell the files in #2 above to stay open or close, to update when run or not, etc.
Suddenly today the Summary file didn't know where the other files were located.
Suddenly today the listed files in #1 didn't know where the Control file was located.
CurDir for Excel is NOT the current directory for all these files - but it must have been earlier.
Finally, here are the questions:
1) What determines the Current Directory for Excel? I'm not asking here how to set it, I'm asking what would be the default.
2) How can the Current Directory for Excel be changed? ... at the highest level possible so it stays fixed? My objective is to change it once and for all and for it to stick while these various files are being run.