Clarifications about Windows Server 2012 R2 Licensing
Posted on 2014-07-31
I need to implement a "blackbox" as a web front-end for a massive archive system. However, I don't expect a big traffic as this is old historical information.
I am looking at different WS2012R2 flavors and have many doubts about the terminology:
- When it is mentioned 'allowed physical processors', what about 2 or 4 cores CPUs? (i.e. Intel Core i7) Are they considered a single physical processor?
- WS2012 Essencials and Foundations have 25- and 15-user limitation. Does this comprise clients using the web application? Can I have 100 web users with those versions?
- I would like to use the smallest version as possible
- I don't need to provide authentication or file services, I will use a token provided by another server.
- I will run a SQL database which is only an index for the archive
- I don't need to be part of a domain (in the Microsoft sense), so the machine can be reached by associating a sub-domain name with its IP address
- I may require SSL for securing the line