Outlook 2010 and 2007 sp3 VERY slow with install of new Exchange 2013 server to Exchange 2007 environment.
Posted on 2014-07-31
We are in the process of migrating to Exchange 2013 from Exchange 2007. I have installed the new Exchange 2013 on a fresh install of Windows server 2012.
I setup a third party cert from godaddy and assigned it, then removed all the built in certs. Everything is working after reboot. OWA works, ECP works, activesync works, email works between the servers and the few mailboxes we have moved. Send and receive connectors are setup, edge sync was recreated to allow co-existence... no problems there.
Everything appears fine, but when i launch outlook 2010 or 2007sp3, it sits there for 30 seconds "loading profile", then once it loads, it takes about 20-40 seconds to switch between emails. I moved three mailboxes, used three different computers to access them, they all do the same thing when accessing email from outlook. We even used a laptop that had outlook 2007 installed, same result. OWA access and use works fine, no slowness.
I disabled IPV6, no change.
I started up wireshark and watched outlook load, there is a ton of back and forth file transfer actions. Also, it seems the larger the email, the longer the wait.
This is just odd. Why would everything appear to be working, no errors in the logs, but outlook be painfully slow to use.
Also, on two of the mailboxes that were migrated, the contacts and junk email folders were duplicated. Seems the old system folders were recreated, so we had to move the content from the old to the new folders. We were able to delete the old folders without issue. Two other accounts that got moved, didnt have the duplicate folder issue.
Also, i should note that the users devices and clients were successfully redirected to the new server without issue.
I should note that i have been administering exchange since 5.5, so i am not new to the scene, but this is a new version, so i may have missed something simple.... I say that because an extensive internet search has revealed nothing but issues with the outlook client, which isn't the case based on several different computers having the issue(i could be wrong though).