Unknown file in winsock lsp: wlidnsp.dll causing lack of of internet connectivity?
Posted on 2014-07-31
Hello all, I am a Computer Repair Tech and here in the last several month I have had well over 100 computers in my shop with "internet connectivity problem". The only thing they all have had in common is this result in HiJack This:
010 Unknown file in Winsock LSP: C:\program files (x86)\Common Files\ Microsoft Shared\ Windows Live\wlidnsp.dll
Some of the computers have been highly infected, others only have this one unknown file in the results. In Safe Mode the internet works, in normal mode it may show it is connected but it will in 90% of tries show "This page cannot be displayed".
When I have had time, I have done research leading me to what I have tried:
1) deleting the file and/or whole Windows live folder - this has worked on maybe 2 computers
2) Uninstalling Windows Live Essentials & any other programs/ features related to Windows Live - this has not worked on a single computer.
3) Replacing the wlidnsp.dll file with a file from another computer
4) Uninstalling McAfee (per McAfee's help forum) on the maybe 10 computers that have it installed - this has worked on 1 computer
5) Disabling everything in msconfig.exe - still no connectivity on any of the machines I have tried this on.
6) System Restore to a date before the symptoms started - hasn't worked once
The only thing that works is a format/ recovery to factory defaults. When 95% of the machines coming through my office have this "Winsock" issue, I am performing a lot of formats. I feel it unprofessional to format every machine that comes through.
I have scoured forums everywhere looking for an answer, and I just keep hitting dead ends. I don't know what is causing this, and I don't know where it is coming from. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I will not be able to do all the suggestions on a single machine since I have to keep them moving forward, but I can pretty much garantee an unlimited number of machines to try suggestions on.
Thank you for your help in advance.
PS. ComboFix, Junkware Removal Tool, AdwCleaner, LSPfix, SuperAntiSpyware, Malware Bytes, and CCleaner do nothing to solve the problem. Only HiJack This detects it, but can't do anything about it.