Browser error "Malformed certificate"  = Google Chrome (v36) and IE (v8) - with a root CA SHA256

Posted on 2014-08-04
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2014-08-08
Using Google and IE to connect to a URL we get an error :-
The certificate that Chrome received during this connection attempt is not formatted correctly, so Chrome cannot use it to protect your information.
Error type: Malformed certificate
Subject: mycert.testing.com
Issuer: GlobalSign Organization Validation CA - SHA256 - G2

The server is running WIndows 2003 server and the version of browsers as stated above. So on a development 2003 server I ran Windows updates and re-tried and the issue was resolved. I need to fix the issue on live 2003 servers but I do not want to run the complete Windows Update in case it breaks many other functions.
I am assuming there was an upgrade to support  new hashing algorithm SHA256 ?
Appreciate if anyone can shed light on this and more specific on what needs updating.

Question by:ccfcfc
  • 3
  • 2
LVL 84

Expert Comment

by:Dave Baldwin
ID: 40239613
Look for the Root Certificate Updates and see if that fixes your problem.

Author Comment

ID: 40246661
I am still struggling to find anything that fixes the issue. There seems to be a common theme with the SHA256 in the certs needed within Windows 2003. I fixed the issue by running Windows updates on the 2003 server but this tkes over 4 hours and there are many. My other issue being, this is a live server running apps and web sites and it woudl break other apps and be down for 4 hours.
SO I am not ure what Root Certificate as part of the update is required. I woudl be grateful if you know what update is required.
I found this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968730
But when I download it and attempt to run it, it says " but is for a machine other than the current machine" so does not run .
LVL 84

Accepted Solution

Dave Baldwin earned 2000 total points
ID: 40246684
See if the info here helps any:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931125

Author Comment

ID: 40246702
YEs I found that one and applied it made no difference. I even got the new RootCA Intermediate CA and imported into the Server Certificate MMC made no difference. I have been sent a knowledge base KB968730  

Applied it , re-booted and it seemed to have fixed my problem. I am going to have to do some more testing on other server

Author Comment

ID: 40248819
Yes it seems to have solved the problem

Featured Post

Prep for the ITIL® Foundation Certification Exam

December’s Course of the Month is now available! Enroll to learn ITIL® Foundation best practices for delivering IT services effectively and efficiently.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

When asking a question in a forum or creating documentation, screenshots are vital tools that can convey a lot more information and save you and your reader a lot of time
Sometimes clients can lose connectivity with the Lotus Notes Domino Server, but there's not always an obvious answer as to why it happens.   Read this article to follow one of the first experiences I had with Lotus Notes on a client's machine, my…
Windows 10 is mostly good. However the one thing that annoys me is how many clicks you have to do to dial a VPN connection. You have to go to settings from the start menu, (2 clicks), Network and Internet (1 click), Click VPN (another click) then fi…
Finding and deleting duplicate (picture) files can be a time consuming task. My wife and I, our three kids and their families all share one dilemma: Managing our pictures. Between desktops, laptops, phones, tablets, and cameras; over the last decade…
Suggested Courses

850 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question