SQL Server 2008 R2 Cloning in VMware
Posted on 2014-08-05
Today I have followed the steps below to clone a Windows Server 2008 R2 Server running SQL 2008 on VMware 5.5
1. On the SQL Server to be cloned, renamed all SQL Services to Local System, made them manual and stopped them
2. Rebooted SQL Server to be cloned and then shut down ready for a cold clone
3. Cloned SQL Server using Guest Customization
4. Powered new SQL Clone on, checked networking and hostname and joined domain. All drives working fine for Logs and Data etc
5. Rebooted new SQL Clone
6. Gone to Services.msc and changed all services to the Windows AD Service accounts they were.
7 Tried to start them and each one says "Windows could not start the SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) Service on Local Computer. Error 2: The System cannot find the file specified" I also cannot run SQL Server Configuration Manager. It says MMC could not create the snap-in. The snapin might not have been installed correctly. (It was definitely working on the machine we cloned from fine)
8. Tried googling but there are so many different issues, it's very difficult to find one which corresponds to this issue. We know the passwords are correct. I don't know if its worth running through a SQL Repair but would rather avoid if anyone has had experience of this
9. There is a MS link but I think you need to actually be able to run a query MSSQL Management Studio.