Active directory User "log on to" probem

Thomas NZ
Thomas NZ used Ask the Experts™

I have an interesting issue with a new 100 seat site we've taken over. The problem is when new users are created in AD under properties/account/log on to   its always set to "THE FOLLOWING COMPUTERS"
This prevents the user from logging into thin clients & some other machines, Now i can change this option to "ALL COMPUTERS" but this option seems to change back over night....
I cannot see any GPO's settings that could make this change back? Any suggestions would be helpful
I might also mention some admin accounts when newly created cannot log in to some computers also, but when left for a week or two they seem to come right.

Watch Question

Do more with

Expert Office
EXPERT OFFICE® is a registered trademark of EXPERTS EXCHANGE®
You can get the settings under Computer Configuration > Policies > Security Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment. Using this option you can create a policy and set allow\deny logon to computers

This could be because of a script running as part of a scheduled task which is running every day at night. This script could be populating the computer accounts for all user account in the organization or in a particular OU.

You could try moving user accounts to a different OU to see if it is affecting users in an OU. But this would require all user settings be moved to the new OU, like the GPOs.

Also, you could search for Scheduled Tasks configured on Domain Controllers or Management Workstations.

Another option would be to enable Auditing for the AD Accounts in order to find which account is making modifications to user accounts.
Distinguished Expert 2018

yes, correct, audit account management to see what process that is. It will be a scheduled task for sure, so you could also list all tasks on the DCs and see which of those run after hours and find it.
Should you be charging more for IT Services?

Do you wonder if your IT business is truly profitable or if you should raise your prices? Learn how to calculate your overhead burden using our free interactive tool and use it to determine the right price for your IT services. Start calculating Now!

Thomas NZSystems Engineer


@ Sekar Chinnakannu   i have tried this but was a 50/50 shot.

Seems its something changing AD.  What the best proccess to audit account management to see what process that is?
Currently have 3 domain controllers one which is old 2008 standard and two new 2012 R2. Below are all the schedule task setup.

2008 DC
No tasks have been created on the new domain controllers.
I did notice that it must change between 3am-7am
To audit Account Management, you should first enable the audit setting in Default Domain Controller Policy.

This can be done from a Domain Controller with the help of Group Policy Management Console.
Open GPMC from Administrative Tools -> Group Policy Management
Then Go To Domain Root -> Domain Controllers OU -> Default Domain Controller Policy.

Right click on the Default Domain Controller Policy and select Edit

In the GP Editor, go to Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Audit Policy

Select Audit Account Management and enable Policy Setting for Success.

Once the Audit Policy is configured, account management events will be logged in Security Log of Domain Controllers. You could check for Event ID 4738, which is the event for successful user modification. You may have to increase the size of Security Log file as it may get overwritten over a period of time.

If you want to find the Domain Controller and exact date and time when a particular user object was changed, you could use the following command.

repadmin /showobjmeta <Name of a DC> <Distinguished Name of User Object>

repadmin /showobjmeta DomainController1 "CN=User1,OU=Users,DC=Test,DC=com"
Thomas NZSystems Engineer


Thanks will get this setup and come back to you.
Thomas NZSystems Engineer


checked logs this morning and found
this was logged before the second picture

Then this is one of the user accounts that change everyday

From what i see it s must be something on the domain controller because of the Account Name its using.
Thomas NZSystems Engineer


Found the problem here!!! :)   Thanks for everyones input!

After finding that event which pointed to something running on the server itself as SYSTEM. Noticed it said Windows Server standard but was Windows 2008 Essentials Business Server!

This has the Windows Essentials Business Server Administration Console. Now it was only licensed for some users and some devices etc... This only allowing login to licensed computers etc......
So real fix is to decommission the DC and use the two 2012 R2 domain controllers.

Thanks again!


Do more with

Expert Office
Submit tech questions to Ask the Experts™ at any time to receive solutions, advice, and new ideas from leading industry professionals.

Start 7-Day Free Trial