[Last Call] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now

  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 216
  • Last Modified:

Exchange 2013 outlook connection

Hi Experts,

I'm having an issue where my clients can connect to Exchange 2013 from Outlook 2010, however they frequently get a credentials box asking for Username and Password.

I inherited a SBS2011 server which we have outgrown. It came with Exchange 2010. I wanted to upgrade to Exchange 2013 on a dedicated virtual server 2012. I hired a group who assisted with the migration but now my clients are still having some connectivity issues. Autodiscover seems to work and I got a new Exchange SSL but the clients still have issues with Outlook asking for their username and password as well as get a certificate error having the old domain name in the message. Shared schedules do not seem to work properly either. I have tried recreating the user account in Outlook but that didn't do it, although it did discover the settings and connect to the server. OWA works fine.

I believe the issue is that I need to insert the new certificate into the Autodiscover settings or add it to the clients manually, neither of which I know how to do.

I also want to shut down Exchange 2010 on the SBS but keep the rest of the services running until I have time and resources to move everything else. Will just disabling the Exchange services work?

Rob Hoffman
Rob Hoffman
  • 3
2 Solutions
Simon Butler (Sembee)ConsultantCommented:
Almost certainly the problem is with the SBS 2011 server being in place.
Shutting down the services on its own is not enough - you need to actually remove the server completely.

What is probably happening is that the clients are hitting both servers for some Autodiscover processes, in effect an Autodiscover "war" between the two servers.

get-clientaccessserver | select identity, autodiscoverserviceinternaluri

I expect the results will be different. Change them so they are the same (both pointing to Exchange 2013) and you should see most of the errors go away.

Rob HoffmanAuthor Commented:
Hi Simon,

Thank you for the quick reply. I had not thought of that issue.

I apologize, but I didn't follow what you mean by:
get-clientaccessserver | select identity, autodiscoverserviceinternaluri

Could you give further details?

Hey Rob check out this technet page  it provides some additional details on what Simon was directing you to. That command (if you replace the last with your autodiscover URL) will provide you the details of what your outlook clients are seeing when they autodiscover.
Rob HoffmanAuthor Commented:
Great, Thanks. I'll read up on it.
Rob HoffmanAuthor Commented:
It does look to be the Autodiscover issue with the SBS2011 box. There are some tips to disable the service on the SBS and it should be able to co-exist with the new Exchange server.

Featured Post

Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

  • 3
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now