I have created a windows 7 image for deployment. I was also using "my sysprep" as I wanted to rename a PC and join it to the domain at the same time. Everywhere I read about this said the easiest way to do this.
Anyway this is what I did.
1. We purchased all the same new hardware so only needed the one image and no need to make it hardware independent at the moment.
2. I build windows installed all the standard applications we use. I set this registry key to make all the drivers persist during the sysprep process which when testing made sysprep speed up massively. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWAR
pnp set PersistAllDeviceInstalls to 1 ( appsense takes cares of the rest of the polices in windows and app settings etc)
3. I downloaded mysysprep 64bit and put in the sysprep directory and then shut down the machine using the following command run from the sysprep folder in windows in a batch file:
mysysprep /oobe /generalize /unattend:c:\windows\syste
also in here from the install disk I had a CLG file - windows 7 professional.clg
4. Before the machine booted back up I captured an image of it using Altiris 6.9 which actually uses Ghost now for win7/8.
5. This image was then deployed to all the machines. Each newly imaged PC after imaging was completed, would start to boot up and enter the sysprep state - enter a computer name etc would present itself and after finishing it would arrived at the control - alt - del screen joined to the domain with the name which was chosen during sysprep.
6. there is a sysprep succeed tag file in the sysprep directory of every PC
7. The problem we now have is the KMS server - all the PC;s which have activated and registered all have duplicated CMID's in the KMS server
Here is what was in my XML file (attached), it was quiet basic, but perhaps someone can see where I have gone wrong?
I 100% used the generalise command which from what i can see on the web is the most common caused problem, so not quiet sure where the duplicate CMID's have come from or why ! (note I have removed username passwords domain names etc from the xml and replaced with my company name / pw here etc)
Does anyone else have a basic XML I can try and use to see if I can get the PC to generate a new CMID? or can anyone spot any errors in the XML that I have made?
Many thanks in advance