I am designing a family payments database. The purpose of the database is to maintain the data used to track the payments made by family members. I’m working on normalizing the tables. Please comment on the proposed design. Please also comment about the best practice for column names.
One family member, Joe, will mail checks (prepayments) to another family member, Mary. Joe will pay for 75% of the expenses. Mary will pay the remaining 25% of all expenses.
The following information must be tracked: (1) Record the date that Mary received Joe’s check. (2) Record the date that Joe’s check cleared Mary’s account.
Please recommend the best practice for column names. The following is the text from (ID: 40222804) in the following EE question.
Your original tables contained prefixes on all column names. Although this is not wrong, I do not recommend it since in the long run they just get in the way. You will soon tire of typing the prefix, especially since yours are longish. It’s also that many more characters you have to type before intellisense can kick in. When looking at tables/queries in datasheet view, the meat of the name will rarely be visible and you’ll have to constantly widen the columns to see the entire name. I understand the purpose of the prefixes and in fact when I was working in COBOL, I was religious about them. But, COBOL didn’t have intellisense and I had to type everything anyway. When working with a language such as VBA, I would use suffixes instead. They accomplish the same thing and won’t get in your way.