• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 118
  • Last Modified:

What licenses do I need?

I need to bus windows standard server 2008, I have a client that whats to remote to windows server to access sage and office their will be about 3 users logging in at the same time. What do I need.  Which version of office and what version of standard server 2008 do I need to buy
  • 2
3 Solutions
You just need a single Server 2008 license, offically you also need to have 3 office license (paper version, for installing on an RDS server you don;t need multiple license) and last but not least CAL's (Client Access License). You have to install the licensing service on one machine and import Client Access Licenses here.

I believe that you can buy package deals for Server 2008 standard with CAL's included but you'd best ask your software provider for those licenses.

The fact that you need to install RDS is that you have 3 accounts logging in at the same time. Otherwise you could possibly use the administration mode of terminal services (every Windows server has a "default" 2 connection license for administrative purposes.. Nothing needs to be configured for that).
John HurstBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
You need a terminal server and that will be an additional server license and installation from the client's regular server (DHCP, file services, etc.).

You need to check the license for sage but I am quite sure you need a license for each user.

You need to check with Sage about using the product on a terminal server. Do you need a special version?  I don't think so, but check with them.

You need to have the users remote in and use Sage on the terminal server. Do not install Sage on the client machines. This is because it is a database program.
Lee W, MVPTechnology and Business Process AdvisorCommented:
I'm going to assume that people will be connecting to the RDS system from multiple devices - tablets, laptops, home PCs, office computers, etc.  If not you MAY be able to use Device CALs, but since MOST cases DO have users connecting from multiple devices, the advice below is based on that assumption.

1. Microsoft doesn't license by Concurrent connection.  It doesn't matter if you have 3 users logged on at once out of 20, you need 20 RDS CALs.  Microsoft licenses by the HUMAN BEING, not user account, not connection.
2. You CANNOT use the Administrative mode connections if you only had two people connecting at once - those connections are licensed for ADMINISTRATION of the server.
3. You need Microsoft Office Standard or Pro Plus VOLUME LICENSE EDITION.  Retail/OEM licenses CANNOT BE INSTALLED on an RDS Server.  Further, like the RDS CALs, you need ONE COPY PER RDS CAL.
4. If you don't already have them, you need Windows User CALs - RDS CALs are ADDITIVE - they do not include base Windows CALs.  They ADD the right to Windows CALs to connect to an RDS server.
John HurstBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
@Geektank  - Thank you and I was happy to help.

Featured Post

Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now