I have a client that is using a proprietary Access Application built by a commercial software vendor. They have been using the app for some time now and it worked just fine. The problem is that the other day the app was working on all workstations but decided to show a blank startup form on one of the workstations. I had them work with the software vendor, but the vendor could not get the app to work correctly and said that your IT person needs to uninstall and reinstall MS Office 2013 Pro, so I did, but the problem still exists.
I have checked to make sure that the workstation in question was the exact version as the workstations that are working and it was MSO (15.4631.1000) 32-bit.
This problem is “Not Profile Specific” as it will not run under the Admin profile either.
The issue is confined to one specific workstation, which has worked for months then stopped.
OS is Windows 7 Pro
MS Office 2013 Pro Plus
All Windows Updates Installed