Excel 2010 problem:
My question is quite close to the "Excel Circular Reference" question.
Col D Col E Col F
Row 18 1 or 0 (value) =IF(D18=1,E18,F18)
What I am trying to get Excel to do is latch in the value of E18 into F18 on command:
"If D18=1. make F18 a copy of the value of E18;
when I set D18=0, leave F18 as-is."
Since there seems to be no way of telling Excel to do nothing if D18 is changed from 1 to 0,
I am telling Excel to copy the current contents of F18 to F18 (thus leaving it unchanged).
This does what I want, but results in a circular reference error.
How do I avoid the circular reference error? In other words,
Is there any way to
1. put a value in E18
2. set D18 to 1 to get the value copied to F18
3. set D18 to 0 leaving the copied value in F18
4. change the value of E18 some time later
5. set D18 to 1 to latch in the new E18 value in F18
6. set D18 to 0 leaving the copied value in F18
etc. without getting a circular error message?