We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

DirSync not working after doing a cutover migration to Office 365 from SBS 2008

MrComputerIT
MrComputerIT asked
on
2,638 Views
Last Modified: 2014-08-17
I have migrated a SBS 2008/Exchange 2007 on premises setup to Office 365. The migration was smooth with no issues. After migration, I changed DNS records to reflect Office 365. That is also working perfectly. Now my problem is with using DirSync to sync our local AD with Office 365. After enabling this, I get this error emailed to me for every user that was migrated:

Unable to update this object because the following attributes associated with this object have values that may already be associated with another object in your local directory services: [ProxyAddresses SMTP:UserName@domain.com;]. Correct or remove the duplicate values in your local directory. Please refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2647098 for more information on identifying objects with duplicate attribute values.

I have found several things that *might* fix the issue, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Here's what I tried:

1. Running IdFix as suggested in the link from the error.

IdFix tells me the users and groups have the error "topleveldomain" but does not give a suggested fix.

2. Performing these steps: Article Link

Step 2 resulted in errors during the 2nd script which did not create MEU, but still deleted the mailboxes (which I have since restored). Not sure if I did something wrong or this isn't what I need to do anyway.

Can someone help point me in the right direction to fix this issue. The main thing I am trying to accomplish is to have our AD sync with O365 for user maintenance and also for password sync. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Rick
Comment
Watch Question

CERTIFIED EXPERT
Most Valuable Expert 2015
Distinguished Expert 2019
Commented:
This one is on us!
(Get your first solution completely free - no credit card required)
UNLOCK SOLUTION

Author

Commented:
Oh my! The email addresses in the AD are wrong!! I never caught that. The actual email addresses are "FirstNameLastInitial@Domain.com" but in AD in the "General" tab they are "FirstNameLastName@Domain.com" Has that been my problem all along??

Author

Commented:
It still isn't working. I still get the same errors.

Author

Commented:
I did a DirSync before and deleted the mailboxes. Turns out it still finds them. I purged them and now it works. I also still had to fix the UPN to get rid of our .local domain. Thanks for your help!
Unlock the solution to this question.
Join our community and discover your potential

Experts Exchange is the only place where you can interact directly with leading experts in the technology field. Become a member today and access the collective knowledge of thousands of technology experts.

*This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

OR

Please enter a first name

Please enter a last name

8+ characters (letters, numbers, and a symbol)

By clicking, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.