Oracle Tuning and Diagnostic Packs - Licensing
Posted on 2014-09-05
I'm after advice on the Oracle Tuning and Diagnostic Packs and what experiences people have used when it comes to licensing.
1. How many times can these packs be used for test/setup purposes before they need to be licensed?
2. When Oracle is installed, these packs get installed by default. There are no instructions on how to switch these packs off. Would anybody agree that Oracle by default have setup their installations to be non-compliant and will then charge the customer for this use!
3. When Oracle Enterprise Manager is installed and used, by default the database screen displays the "performance" and "SQL Monitor - Last Hour" screens which are part of the tuning and diagnostic packs, thus triggering non-compliance.
4. After the initial install of Oracle, no further warnings about having to license the tuning and diagnostic packs are displayed. This is especially so when Databases are cloned/setup. Given my experiences with Oracle Rdb or MIcrosoft SQL Server you pay for what you get. There are no other features which are installed by default and then have to be licensed. Oracle's procedure is counter-intuitive.
6. Are there any other mitigating factors I can use in my discussions with Oracle?