I have a potentially simple questions.
I have an HP P2000 SAS array that hold 24 sff 900GB drives. It connects two HP Proliant DL385p servers via redundant SAS controllers per server. We installed 12 drives to begin with and created two vdisks, one RAID5 with hot spare and one RAID10 wth hot spare. All works perfectly. Client has asked to populate the remaining 12 slots with new drives. I have inserted all 12 with identical drives as the first 12. All are AVAIL. But before I pull the trigger on the configuration, I am a little fuzzy on what will happen as I have had no way to test different scenarios.
* It looks like I cannot expand a RAID10 V-disk as the P2000 seems to want only 4 drives and any number of hot spares per RAID10 V-disk, so if I need additional RAID10 space, I need to create a new V-disk. True/false?
* With its own hot spare, or can an existing hot spare be assigned?
* For the RAID5 V-disk, is it best to create new V-disk or should I expand the existing V-disk?
* Seems to me that expanding the RAID5 will allow me to make better use of the drives since I already have the hot spare configured, True/false?
* I am affriad that expanding will make the system unusable until the expand has finished. True/false?
* Is there something I am totally missing with this array that I am not seeing?
NMJ Technology LLC