Word / Excel 2007 lockup in Windows 8.1
Posted on 2014-09-07
My father in law just updated from Windows 8 to 8.1 and immediately noticed that both Word and Excel 2007 no longer function. Since he uses Office Word 2007 every day, the problem seems like it is attributed to the OS update.
What happens is that both programs immediately freeze up after loading... meaning, Word or Excel open to a blank document and the mouse cannot activate any of the menus, cannot type into the blank document. Looking at the programs in the task manager (Cntr-Shft-Esc), they appear to be working, no sign of lockup, no hording of CPU cycles but switching back to either program, still they appear frozen.
What I have tried (none of these changes helped individually or combined):
- Changing properties to Run this program as an administrator: NO! For some reason, Admin mode is grayed-out. I don't understand why? I have never seen this before. But may not be related to the problem.
- File Permissions: For some reason the USER permissions were only read/write. So I tested by changing them to full.
- Changed Compatibility mode: Run this program in compatibility mode for … and selected Windows 7.
- Safe Mode: I tried running both Word and Excel in safe mode. Still locked up.
- Office repair mode: was tried, completed, but no change.
- Looked for OS and/or Office updates: Some Windows 8.1 updates, completed, no change.
- Reboot computer: many times.
- Reinstalled Office: yes.
Any other ideas?