I'm having issues with WSUS on my domain/file server. WSUS service will no longer load. The service is "missing" from the list of services when you bring up WSUS under the "server roles" and it shows all of the services associated with that role. The "display name" is blank, Service Name is "WSUSService", and the Status is "not available". Windows Internal Database, BITS, Application Host Helper Service, World Wide Web Publishing Service, WSUS Certificate Service, etc.... All of those are running, but WSUSService is missing from the list.
What most certainly caused this was because I tried "remove roles" on WSUS and IIS, and also tried to reinstall WSUS, and received the message that it did not finish installing/uninstalling. It gave an error 0x80070643. I tried to give the SQL user installing admin permissions per the link below, but I clearly don't know enough about SQL to do it properly. I think after that is straightened out, it might work, but I don't know.
I am self taught when it comes to network management, and have massive gaps in my knowledge base, so please go a little slower than you would with a "peer". Thanks, Jeff.
Operating system is Windows Server 2008 R2.
We are on a domain, and the name of it is "DZA".
The name of the server is "Server08".
The name of the user account that I log in with is "DZA\Administrator"
I almost always access this machine using Remote Desktop. Not sure that makes a difference, but I thought I'd mention it.
SQL Express 2005 with the latest service pack (I think) is running the Windows Internal Database.