Solved

Exchange Remote Connectivity Analyzer interrmittent failures in 2003/2010 coexistence

Posted on 2014-09-19
6
444 Views
Last Modified: 2014-09-20
Got a strange one here. I have an Exchange 2003/2010 environment in coexistence.

I moved a user from Ex2003 to Ex2010. That user that can connect to Outlook Web App, Outlook and ActiveSync no problems.

I have other users on Ex2003. They can connect through the Outlook Web App redirection to the 2003 OWA backend just fine.

However, when I try to connect to those 2003 users with ActiveSync it fails. I tried the ActiveSync test on EXRCA.COM and I get the following end result.

"The Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer failed to obtain an Autodiscover XML response."
 Additional Details
 
The Response element in the payload was null.
 <?xml version="1.0"?>
<Autodiscover xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/autodiscover/responseschema/2006" />
HTTP Response Headers:
Persistent-Auth: true
Content-Length: 382
Cache-Control: private
Content-Type: text/xml; charset=utf-8
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 00:23:22 GMT
Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.5
X-AspNet-Version: 2.0.50727
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
Elapsed Time: 816 ms.  


Now if I retest the 2010 user, they pass the ActiveSync EXRCA test no problems. They are also working on ActiveSync as we speak so passing the test as that user is to be expected. I am testing both users from the same device as well.

Nothing odd with the users AD objects. Such as security inheritance. ActiveSync is enabled on the 2003 accounts.

If I go to the autodiscover URL as the 2003 user I get the expected result and can see the XML file.

So, not sure if this is truly an autodiscover issue.
0
Comment
Question by:Gareth Gudger
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 6
6 Comments
 
LVL 31

Author Comment

by:Gareth Gudger
ID: 40333944
Looks like the same exact issue was reported here as well. Just that they ended up moving all the users quickly. Basically didn't deal with fixing it.
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/Email_Servers/Exchange/Q_27570776.html
0
 
LVL 31

Author Comment

by:Gareth Gudger
ID: 40333953
0
 
LVL 31

Author Comment

by:Gareth Gudger
ID: 40333954
Fixes here didn't help either.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817379
0
Comprehensive Backup Solutions for Microsoft

Acronis protects the complete Microsoft technology stack: Windows Server, Windows PC, laptop and Surface data; Microsoft business applications; Microsoft Hyper-V; Azure VMs; Microsoft Windows Server 2016; Microsoft Exchange 2016 and SQL Server 2016.

 
LVL 31

Author Comment

by:Gareth Gudger
ID: 40333991
Hmm.... to muddy the waters, seems like SharePoint may have been installed on here at one point.

Oddly, the Default Web Site gets a page not displayed internally. But externally things like OWA works fine. Same issue with internal IP as well. So, not a DNS issue. No firewalls in play on the server itself.
0
 
LVL 31

Author Comment

by:Gareth Gudger
ID: 40334046
Drawing dead here. Verified I have all the right hotfixes, permissions and what not on the 2003 side. IWA and Basic enabled in ESM on 2003. Verified they show up in IIS as well. This is a single server, so no front end/back end, so tried creating the extra VDir with SSL disabled. No help their either.

Despite EXRCA.COM saying it is autodiscover, my 2003 users can access the autodiscover XML file just fine. Plus, if I check the IIS logs on the 2003 box I see ActiveSync redirects coming from the 2010 servers internal IP. So, I believe the 2010 server is fine. Especially with the 2010 ActiveSync users working just fine.
0
 
LVL 31

Accepted Solution

by:
Gareth Gudger earned 0 total points
ID: 40334593
I ended up disabling Form Based Authentication on the 2003 server and now ActiveSync works for both 2003 and 2010. It breaks OWA redirection, but I will just have my users go directly to the Legacy URL. Phones are far more important than OWA access.
0

Featured Post

Announcing the Most Valuable Experts of 2016

MVEs are more concerned with the satisfaction of those they help than with the considerable points they can earn. They are the types of people you feel privileged to call colleagues. Join us in honoring this amazing group of Experts.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Lotus Notes – formerly IBM Notes – is an email client application, while IBM Domino (earlier Lotus Domino) is an email server. The client possesses a set of features that are even more advanced as compared to that of Outlook. Likewise, IBM Domino is…
As cyber crime continues to grow in both numbers and sophistication, a troubling trend of optimization has emerged over the last year.
In this video we show how to create an Accepted Domain in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow >> Ac…
This video shows how to quickly and easily add an email signature for all users on Exchange 2016. The resulting signature is applied on a server level by Exchange Online. The email signature template has been downloaded from: www.mail-signatures…

695 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question