Cursor jumping involuntarily (both with touchpad mouse and external mouse)
Posted on 2014-09-20
Old laptop: Dell Inspiron 1501. Windows XP Home Edition
Recently the cursor was working properly both with touchpad mouse and with external USB mouse.
However recently it had been getting a little jumpy taking time to 'settle down'. Now however it is inclined to jump around a lot and will not go where I want it to go . I tried the following to stabilize it:
1. System Restore (no difference)
2. Removing Battery, pressing and holding stop/start button, reinserting battery and restarting (no difference)
3. Not using the battery. working on mains alone with battery removed.(no difference)
4. Opened Device Manager and Mice extensions which revealed the touchpad mouse and the external one.. When I clicked on ''Synaptics... touchpad I got the error message:
"Unable to connect to the synaptics pointing device driver". But when I clicked again the screen opened with usual menu.
I noticed under Device Status the message: 'the device is working properly'.
HOWEVER I also noticed that the 'Device Usage' box is blanked out with nothing in it (Usually this has a line saying whether the device is 'enabled' or 'disabled'.)
4. I updated the driver to be told that the existing driver was fine.