what is the cost of a high voltage regulator for a 42" LG Flatscreen television?

Hello and Good Evening Everyone.

             I am wondering what the cost would be for a high voltage regulator for a 42" LG Flatscreen television.  Any shared input in response to this question will be greatly appreciated.

             Thank you

Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Victor IeneaElectronics and automation engineerCommented:
Could you please be more exactly about that voltage regulator?

Do you mean at the input of your TV, so the mains input voltage is stable for TV?
In this case what is the input voltage in the country where you live?

Or do you speak about a component inside the TV which has to be repaired?
In this case what is exactly does work on your TV?

In both cases  what is the exact model of your TV?

"42" Flat screen LG" is not enough. There are OLED, LED, LCD, Plasma...TVs and they have different specs.
You'd need to give us the manufacturer and part number of the regulator. But generally such transistor or IC parts don't cost a lot, maybe from a $ to a couple of them. It also depends on where you are located, as the prices aren't the same in every country. Sometimes it can be hard to find the exact parts, and also, often you have to buy a couple of them...
also - the exact TV model can help
Exploring SharePoint 2016

Explore SharePoint 2016, the web-based, collaborative platform that integrates with Microsoft Office to provide intranets, secure document management, and collaboration so you can develop your online and offline capabilities.

GMartinAuthor Commented:
Hello and Good Evening Everyone,

           Thanks so much for getting back with me so soon in response to my question.  With regards to the confusion surrounding my question, I must apologize for the lack of  detailed information.   Basically, the television set only makes a click sound and nothing more when turned on.  A picture or sound is never produced.  The model number of this television is 42LC2D-UE with a manufacture date of February 2007.  Just in case this is needed as well, the serial number is 702MXBP0R549.

           If more information is needed, please feel free to let me know and I will furnish it as soon as possible.  Once again, many thanks everyone for  your followups.   I look forward to receiving further feedback to this question.  

            Thank you

This widens the issue to many more things than just a "Voltage Regulator". It could be the Powersupply, or other parts of the TV. Before looking for the price of a voltage regulator you should concentrate on finding the actual cause of the problem. This can only be done by opening it up and inspecting it. For that you need some electronic background, which, based on how you asked the Question, I doubt you have.

In my point of view your only option is to get an electronic person look at the TV, and have him repair it. The price of the defective part(s) will of course be almost irrelevant, as the time and labor will probably be far more expensive.
GMartinAuthor Commented:

            I am asking this question on behalf of a friend, not myself.  As I understand her situation, the television has been looked at by someone with some degree of electronic repair background.  Now, I do not know what his credentials are with respect to formal training, education, certifications, licenses, etc.  At any rate, he diagnoised the problem as being a defective high voltage regulator.   Her friend wants to obtain this part to purchase which brings me to the gist of this post.  I hope everything I just said made sense.  If more clarification is needed, let me know.


As I mentioned the price of the part very likely will be irrelevant. Those things just cost a couple of $'s, if even that much. The problem most of the time is getting them, as they often aren't freely available on the market, or you need to find a similar part that acts the same.
I think he is looking for SMPS that converts AC to DC.  Which is basically a fancy name for the power supply.  Switched-mode power supply.

Look below.  Best Buy sells it and look for substitute parts if the native not available.

Part no: 6709900016C


Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Victor IeneaElectronics and automation engineerCommented:
I think Tira25 provided the best info for your friend: the electrical diagram and the service manual with part numbers.
As I have scribd account, I downloaded the service manual and I upload it here for you, so your friend may print or look better in PC.

Now your friend can have a close look and say exactly what failed and what must be replaced.

There is only one thing which I cannot agree, but maybe I am wrong, due to misuse of the words and their meaning.
The SMPS is not a high-voltage regulator.

The SMPS takes the normal mains and convert the AC input of the TV in many lower DC voltages for different parts of the circuit.
A SMPS does basically a conversion from AC in DC, then uses high frequency oscillator 30-100KHz, transformer, then rectifier + filters to output(s). Considering 230VAC in Europe, the voltage inside does not go higher than 450VDC inside the power supply. In US is lower. That is not high-voltage.
There is another part of the TV where you have high-voltage.
In the old times with CRT screens it use to be the high-voltage electrons accelerator, but as we know that you have an LCD screen, then the light for the LCD screen is provided in many cases by a fluorescent tube with cold cathodes, only 2 pins, 1 by each side and that tube requires an inverter.
The inverter produces high-voltage. It converts the normal DC and produces 5000V or more, in low current.
Is it the back-light of LCD made with fluorescent tube? If yes, then I can understand the word high-voltage used by your friend and expecting to refer at the inverter for that tube.
If that is not the case and he refers to something else, as for example an Integrated Circuit (IC) voltage regulator, then he should identify that component clear based on the manual provided by Tira25.
Then we can discuss further.
As we are in different regions of the globe, you will get the answers at different time.
Now the job falls again on your technical friend's shoulders...
I still think a voltage regulator in question is part of a power supply in TV.   A flyback transformer (or voltage inductor), as mentioned viki, only used for CRT screens.  And even if it break, the TV would still produce an audio.  It only uses to control a horizontal beam in CRT.  Nothing else.   So the picture would be black, but you would still hear an audio.

I think we are confused why he calls it *high* voltage regulator.   They are only Active (increase the power going to the TV when the power drops) and Passive (limit the amount of voltage going to TV).  So it should be on the same board as power supply.
The "someone who looked at the TV" would have seen the manufacturer and part number of the defective device. Just ask him for that part number and then it will be easier. Besides that, he should should be able to find the price for the device himself.
GMartinAuthor Commented:
Hello and Good Evening Everyone,

             The link provided is for a LCD TV Service Manual for the Model 32LC2D.  However, the model number of the defective television set is 42LC2D-UE.  Can the service manual contained within the link also be used for the model 42LC2D-UE?

             Thank you

Yes, and It is a manual for 32LC2D(U)-UE, 37LC2D-UE, and 42LC2D-UE models.  Such indicated on the front title page.
Viki downloaded it for you.
GMartinAuthor Commented:
Hello Everyone,

              Thanks so much for your shared advise and especially the resourceful links.  I have printed out all of the information contained within the links and will be giving it to my friend tomorrow.  

               Once again, many thanks for your guidance.

You bet.
Good luck!
Victor IeneaElectronics and automation engineerCommented:
Thank you for the points.
It would be very nice if you could provide later a short feedback, so we we also know what was defective and if our presumptions were right.
GMartinAuthor Commented:

           Thank you for your shared input.   As I get updates on this situation, I will post more information.  Once again, many thanks for your help.

It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.