?
Solved

Outlook 2013 repair after windows 8 updates every time

Posted on 2014-09-26
3
Medium Priority
?
60 Views
Last Modified: 2016-06-03
Has experienced issues with Outlook 2013 requiring a repair every time Windows 8 applies updates?  This has happened for at least the last 4 or 5 Windows 8 updates and I just realized the correlation.

After Windows 8 (not 8.1) updates, I reboot, and the next time I try to launch Outlook 2013, it tells me it can't open and searches for a solution, then closes.  I then re-launch and I get prompted asking if I want to open in Safe  Mode.  Choose yes, choose my profile (there is only 1), and it still can't open - application shuts down.  Launch again, and I get prompted to repair it.  If I say yes, it runs through the repair/installation and then it all works fine.  Before I realized it correlated with the updates, I had re-created the Outlook profile and created a new PST file so I'm reasonably certain they are not the problem.

Thanks in advance for any solutions/suggestions to keep this from occurring.
0
Comment
Question by:chattiegirl
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
3 Comments
 
LVL 97

Expert Comment

by:Experienced Member
ID: 40347182
I have Office 2013 on my Windows 8.1 machine and it does not require repair after updating Windows (never happened after 1.5 years with both).

Make sure you have a sure and certain back of your PST file.

Now uninstall Office completely, restart, do all Windows updates and all driver updates. Restart again and now install Office completely. Update it in File, Office Account. It does not update with Windows. If you were not updating Office, that may be the problem.
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
chattiegirl earned 0 total points
ID: 40406485
I just figured out what is causing this.  It occurred again after the most recent Windows updates and it appears something happens with the Kaspersky add-in when Windows does an update.  I'm not sure what, but as soon as I disabled the add-in, the problem disappeared.  I will follow up with the folks at Kaspersky.  Thanks for your input.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: ZipGrep

ZipGrep is a utility that can list and search zip (.war, .ear, .jar, etc) archives for text patterns, without the need to extract the archive's contents.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way to say thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article lists the top 5 free OST to PST Converter Tools. These tools save a lot of time for users when they want to convert OST to PST after their exchange server is no longer available or some other critical issue with exchange server or impor…
Changing a few Outlook Options can help keep you organized!
This video shows how to remove a single email address from the Outlook 2010 Auto Suggestion memory. NOTE: For Outlook 2016 and 2013 perform the exact same steps. Open a new email: Click the New email button in Outlook. Start typing the address: …
There are cases when e.g. an IT administrator wants to have full access and view into selected mailboxes on Exchange server, directly from his own email account in Outlook or Outlook Web Access. This proves useful when for example administrator want…
Suggested Courses

770 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question