I need help getting a Win7 Pro 32-bit client up to IE 10 and getting Windows Update moving again.
Since 9/6/13 Windows Update has repeatedly failed trying to install "Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7" on this seldom used workstation that is often powered off for days or weeks. I get the system event ID 20 from Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient with the description "Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7."
The user had somehow got a Yahoo! branded IE 8. I first thought that this was the roadblock, but the problem persists after removing the branding. I have also removed undesired toolbars and the like. No change in behavior. I tried hiding IE9 and installing IE10 from a download package, but that failed also.
The computer gets updates from a WSUS server. There are 3 other updates ready for WU that repeatedly get installed successfully, but stay in the client's queue (KB2859537 since 8/18/13, and KB2872339 since 9/13/13, and KB2871997 since 5/15/14). No other Windows updates show in the WU history since 5/14 except for the malware removal tool, .NET updates, and Office updates. I do not see "in Progress" updates for this computer in WSUS. Most other workstations are also Win7 Pro 32 -- they are not having any problems.