Exchange user domain name is locked in

We have an Exchange 2010 server, and we need to change a user's domain name from a company we acquired, to our own company domain.  This user has been running with his old company domain of XX.com, and now we want to change him to show as ZZ.com.  In spite of successfully changing the Primary SMTP address in the Exchange Console, when we resolve his name in Outlook 2010, he comes up as his old domain of XX.com.  It seems like it's "embedded" somehow in the system somewhere.
Damian_GardnerAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Gareth GudgerCommented:
Couple of possibilities.

You are in Cached mode and the Offline Address Book hasn't picked up the changes yet. By default, this can take up to 24 hours. The easiest way to test is to log into Outlook Web App instead and see if he appears correctly.

Secondly, everyone has his old email address cached in their To: field. The easiest way to test is to start typing his name into the To: field. Then hit the down arrow to select and the delete key to remove whatever cached suggestions Outlook may still have. Then click on the To: button itself (not the field) and select his name from the Global Address List/Address Book.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Damian_GardnerAuthor Commented:
Gareth - thanks and let me check these.  I did think about the TO field caching, and deleted the entry in my own Outlook to test it.  What I did after that was to type the user's alias in the to field and let it resolve it, which it then resolved incorrectly to the old domain name.  My Outlook is in cached mode, however.  Standby
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Exchange

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.