Solved

Freezing on IE for Sharepoint Online

Posted on 2014-10-02
1
133 Views
Last Modified: 2014-10-24
About a month ago we suddenly had a problem with are Sharepoint Online webpage (Which is also our company home page) where it wouldn't load on most user's computers and would just sit and spin forever. Working with Microsoft support we determined it was the calendar and by removing it from the home page it would load fine. However, we then started realizing any item on the Sharepoint Online website that used an IE add-on would having this freezing issue.

By turning off all add-ons most items load properly. Chrome and Firefox load properly as well. The problem is we rely on those add-ons for features crucial to our business.

Additionally, the problem seems to be random. Someone who had the problem one day may not have it the next. My computer was fine for 3 weeks and just now stopped working again. Microsoft support has had me turn off and turn on all Microsoft based add-ons as well as re-installing Office and both of these have had limited success.

More information:

Microsoft support has had me re-register the file owwsupp.dll without success
-This problem does not appear to be OS, IE or Office version specific. We have computers affected running Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1, Office versions 2007-2013, and IE versions 9 through 11.
-As I said earlier, the problem appears random. A system that works one minute may not the next and the other way around.

This was a sudden system-wide issue which makes me wonder if it could be a problem on my side. Could something from my Group Policy be causing this? I am running Windows Server 2008 R2.
0
Comment
Question by:Tarkisal
1 Comment
 

Accepted Solution

by:
Tarkisal earned 0 total points
ID: 40402978
For those that run into this problem I found the cause: Symantec.cloud. For some reason our Symantec.cloud installation randomly causes multiple PCs to not load Active X properly as it is blocking it. I spoke to Symantec and they confirmed this was the cause and they are currently working on a global fix. They said it had to do with the intrusion prevention feature even though that feature was turned off. Only by removing the Symantec.cloud program entirely was I able to get my active x controls to work again.

My work around was to disable all active x plugins that I didn't need. That allowed all webpages to load correctly, though some without the active x component.
0

Featured Post

ScreenConnect 6.0 Free Trial

Explore all the enhancements in one game-changing release, ScreenConnect 6.0, based on partner feedback. New features include a redesigned UI, app configurations and chat acknowledgement to improve customer engagement!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

I didn’t use eM Client for long when I decided to swap to Outlook 2016. The reason for the switch is that it started asking for payment to continue some of its services after one month.   The problems I faced when I didn’t pay were:   I was not …
How can MDaemon MRK files and MSG files work together? We can also say that, how worldclient and Outlook connecter works, using both application collectively you can view your mails, contacts, calendar, task, notes. In this article you can unders…
This tutorial gives a high-level tour of the interface of Marketo (a marketing automation tool to help businesses track and engage prospective customers and drive them to purchase). You will see the main areas including Marketing Activities, Design …
In this Experts Exchange video Micro Tutorial, I'm going to show how small business owners who use Google Apps can save money by setting up what is called a catch-all email address in their Gmail accounts. By using the catch-all feature, small busin…

773 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question