We're trying to implement NIC teaming within our environment for virtual servers, I'm working on the following 3 scenarios (Windows Server 2012 R2 on host and VM):
1. NIC Teaming on the host
2. NIC Teaming within the VM: Attaching two external NIC's to the VM and implementing NIC Teaming within the VM itself
3. The following scenario is the one I'm having difficulty with:
I would like to create a NIC team on the host and share that team with the VM, I have done the following:
- Created the NIC Team on the host consisting of only 2 NIC's with equal spec
- Within Hyper-V, created the Virtual switch as 'External' and connected to the 'Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver' which represents the NIC Team. (I have tested sharing with the host and sometimes not)
- Within the settings of the VM for the network adapter, selected the Virtual Switch for the Team and under advanced features, selected the option for enabling this network adapter to be part of a team
When I start up the VM I have no connectivity to the network, DHCP does not assign a address and even when statically assigned there is no connectivity.
Is there any specific reason for this that I'm missing?