Trying to get a backup solution in place for someone that has the following setup:
1. On Premise Dell server running VMware.
2. Single VM running Windows Server 2011 SBS Standard Edition
3. They are using Exchange, but not SQL Server or Sharepoint at this time (SQL is being used for the standard SBS things though like WSUS).
4. Have approx ten stations where we'd like to backup data files (not looking to do any type of full recovery here).
I haven't had to deal with VM's directly before and I'm not sure what a good backup strategy would be. Do I:
1. Backup at just the host OS level.
2. Backup at the host and guest OS levels.
3. Backup at the guest level only and re-install VM Ware on a new server should this one die
Stations I basically know how to deal with, which will be some type of file copy either via backup software or simple scripts onto the server, then backup from there. My main concern is the server itself.
I'm leaning towards #3, but I'm not sure if backup software is available to snapshot a volume, but also have the capability to reach into a VM and do a granular recovery of specific files or objects (such as a single mailbox). #2 seems like overkill.
So any thoughts or suggestions on strategy and backup software?