I am trying to push windows updates to a group of servers and when I do, I get an error on the server that is "An error has occurred; Code 80244019 windows update encountered an unknown error"

Posted on 2014-10-15
Last Modified: 2014-10-20
I am trying to push windows updates to a group of servers using WSUS (using a WID Database).  When I do this, I approve for installation, do not set a deadline and it succeeds according to WSUS.  When I log on to one of the servers, the update is not there.  I run the command "wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow" and it still won't show.  I look at the windowsupdate.log in the %windir% and find that it is pointing to the error "Code 80244019 windows update encountered an unknown error".  I am curious if someone can help me on this.  I am seeing that it could be a number of things, but not sure which direction to go.  Thanks in advance for any
Question by:Jim Williamson
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 4
  • 2
LVL 47

Expert Comment

by:Donald Stewart
ID: 40382729
You most likely dont have the gpo correctly setup using :8530
LVL 47

Expert Comment

by:Donald Stewart
ID: 40382733
Check your gpo "Specify Intranet Microsoft update service location."

and make sure it says http:\\servername:8530

Author Comment

by:Jim Williamson
ID: 40382776
It does, but I also put the domain name behind the servername to make sure that it wasn't a DNS issue:
10 Questions to Ask when Buying Backup Software

Choosing the right backup solution for your organization can be a daunting task. To make the selection process easier, ask solution providers these 10 key questions.

LVL 47

Accepted Solution

Donald Stewart earned 500 total points
ID: 40383007
This can also happen when the files the client is looking for are missing.

Try running on your wsus server the command WSUSutil.exe reset
LVL 47

Expert Comment

by:Donald Stewart
ID: 40383008

Author Closing Comment

by:Jim Williamson
ID: 40392103
Also in addition to the command that was given to me, I ran psexec.exe from Sysinternals and connected to each server to run wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow  This started the communication once again immediately.  Thanks for all the answers and responses.

Featured Post

Get free NFR key for Veeam Availability Suite 9.5

Veeam is happy to provide a free NFR license (1 year, 2 sockets) to all certified IT Pros. The license allows for the non-production use of Veeam Availability Suite v9.5 in your home lab, without any feature limitations. It works for both VMware and Hyper-V environments

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This is a fairly complicated script that will install the required prerequisites to install SCCM 2012 R2 on a server.  It was designed under the functional model in order to compartmentalize each step required, reducing the overall complexity.  The …
The System Center Operations Manager 2012, known as SCOM, is a part of the Microsoft system center product that provides the user with infrastructure monitoring and application performance monitoring. SCOM monitors:   Windows or UNIX/LinuxNetwo…
In this brief tutorial Pawel from AdRem Software explains how you can quickly find out which services are running on your network, or what are the IP addresses of servers responsible for each service. Software used is freeware NetCrunch Tools (https…
Visualize your data even better in Access queries. Given a date and a value, this lesson shows how to compare that value with the previous value, calculate the difference, and display a circle if the value is the same, an up triangle if it increased…

627 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question