SSRS - Non-existent row/column group appearing

I have a sample dataset attached in Excel, and as you can see, the last field is called UtilityOrder and is returning 1, 2, or 3 only. I have a tablix containing a few expressions and a gauge, and as you can see here, I've set up RowGroup and ColumnGroup on the tablix:

Design View
Group Expressions are:
RowGroup = Floor((Fields!UtilityOrder.Value-1) / 2)
ColumnGroup =(Fields!UtilityOrder.Value-1) Mod 2

In this example, the intention is that tablix panels go across the row, and once 2 have been placed, a new row is started. The problem is that I'm getting a phantom 4th panel. I've added UtilityOrder to the third expression to illustrate:

Gauge screen output
Why is the 4th panel appearing when UtilityOrder=4 doesn't exist?

Thanks,
Jeff
jdallen75Asked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Nico BontenbalCommented:
The cell in the matrix is there because there is a row an a column for it. There just no value in the cell. With normal text fields these would come up empty most of the time, so you won't notice. But now there is a gauge in the cell so you get a gauge without a value. The solution is to use the Hidden propery of the gauge to hide it when there is no value. You can do this by setting the hidden propery to:
=Fields!UtilityOrder.Value is nothing

Open in new window

You can do this in the properties list directy or in the Gauge Panel Properties window in the Visibility section in the 'Show or hide based on an expression' field.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
jdallen75Author Commented:
Nicobo,

Thanks for the reply. That *almost* worked. I had to apply that visibility expression to each object (gauge and 2 text objects) and it worked for them. But for some reason, in the header, it thinks UtilityOrder is 2?? (It's almost like a leftover from the object above it). I've also applied the visibility on the tablix object 2, but the header is causing it to remain:

Almost hidden!
Any thoughts?
0
Nico BontenbalCommented:
Strange indeed. It almost seems like a bug. There is no record meeting the columns and row grouping so the fields should be empty. I was able to solve it by using this formula for the hidden property:
=sum(Fields!UtilityOrder.Value) is nothing

Open in new window


And now I think about it looks a lot more like bug. Because how can sum(Fields!UtilityOrder.Value) be nothing when Fields!UtilityOrder.Value has a value.
0
The Ultimate Tool Kit for Technolgy Solution Provi

Broken down into practical pointers and step-by-step instructions, the IT Service Excellence Tool Kit delivers expert advice for technology solution providers. Get your free copy for valuable how-to assets including sample agreements, checklists, flowcharts, and more!

jdallen75Author Commented:
I'm pretty sure it's a bug, but a colleague of mine managed to find a work-around:

1. Remove the grouping on the existing tablix (and name it InnerTablix)
2. Apply the visibility expression to this InnerTablix
3. Drop another matrix on the page, and call it OuterTablix
4. Bind the same dataset to this OuterTablix
5. Configure the row and column groups as before
6. Delete extra rows and columns

So far, it has worked for 2 examples.
Thanks again, Nicobo
Jeff
0
jdallen75Author Commented:
Your suggestion got me on the right track.. even if there's an underlying bug.
0
jdallen75Author Commented:
Sorry, I missed the "Sum" part in your previous comment. I'll try that again on my next example to fix. Thanks.
0
Nico BontenbalCommented:
Another way to fix it might be using one cell only and place a rectangle in that cell. Inside the rectangle you can place multiple controls (gauges and textboxes). Then you can set the visibility of the rectangle.
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
SSRS

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.