Exchange 2010 with Device Client Access Licenses - do I need licenses for each smart phone too?


I have an Exchange 2010 server.  Several users also have email setup to access their mailboxes on this server.

Do I need Client Access Licenses even for each of these mobile devices?

Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Seth SimmonsSr. Systems AdministratorCommented:
you would want a user CAL instead of a device CAL
that way it covers the user whether using a notebook, tables, phone, etc. as opposed to a device CAL which is per device
As Seth stated you would probably want to look at user CALS in this case.  That being said, you can also mix and match device and user CALs.  Not recommended by Microsoft due to the complexity of keeping up with licensing, however you can do it.  Why would you do this?

A good example is a company that has 450 users and 100 desktop computers.  Of those 450 users, 20 are supervisory users that need access to multiple devices.  They have 20 desktops, 20 laptops, 20 mobile devices and in some cases iPads or other tablets.  To properly license on a device CAL you would need 100 (desktop) + up to 60 (for the additional mobile, phone and tablet).  That would be 160 licenses.

Now consider what can be done:

License 80 devices (covers the desktops) and 20 users (covers the 20 users with multiple devices).  Now you are back down to 100 licenses in totality to cover 450 users across 160 devices.  This would use a mix and match of the users and device CALS.

Also every mailbox does not require a license under user CALS, only every USER.  So a single user could have 5 mailboxes and as long as that user is the only one that access those 5 mailboxes, you only need a single user CAL.

Hope this helps and let us know if you need some more information or if something is not clear.
realtimerAuthor Commented:
Thanks for the information - very helpful.
Clearly, we should have purchased user cals right off the bat.  In our case, does not seem like we have any benefit from the device option.
Looks like we'll have to add on the user licenses - but .... does Microsoft have any way to allow a switch to go to the alternate licensing option?
The only way you can switch is under very specific circumstances.  You will need to contact Microsoft Sales and Licensing to determine if there is a program available under which they will allow such a switch.  Normally this will not be allowed as user CALs are now more expensive than Device CALs.  

Microsoft Licensing is extremely difficult to stay current on.  They are forever changing the nuances of things.  The other thing to keep in mind is your Wndows CALs.  If your Windows CALs are device, then you need enough of those to cover the mobile devices as well.

In fact, per microsoft's terms if you have printer, mobile device, etc that even grabs a DHCP address or uses the DNS from a Microsoft server and you are using device licenses, then those devices also need licenses.  Grab a cup of Coffee and read the terms and be ready to be a bit surprised.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.