I am preparing to move 1 Virtual Server (Citrix Server) from 1 ESXi Host to another ESXI host. We do not have a SAN; hence, I cannot use VMotion. We do have:
- VMware 5.1 Update 1
- VEEAM Backup Replication and Recovery
...software in our environment. After researching how to export/import an .ova file with the Experts help: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/VMWare/Q_28538201.html
Another person suggested that I can use VEEAM Backup to move the VIrtual Server from 1 ESXi host to the other.
The plan would be to
1. Power off a Citrix2 server.
2. Then, initiate the restore in VEEAM for Citrix 2 to be restored on a different ESXi Host.
3. Then, to power on the restored Citrix2 Virtual Server, while it is on the new Host.
4. Then, to leave the original Citrix2 Server powered off and test the restored VM.
5. Then, eventually delete the original Citrix2 VM from the original ESXi host.
My questions are:
1. What is the difference between moving a Virtual host via .ova file compared to using VEEAM?
a. Will both procedure work the same?
b. I have tested restore times with VEEAM; hence, I am a little more familiar with that process.
2. Will the Citrix Farm and Citrix Servers work the same if I restore a Virtual Server to another host?
a. As compared to exporting/importing an .ova file or an ovf template.
b. I am learning more about Citrix; hence, that is why I am asking such elementary questions.
c. I just would like to ask before I proceed.