• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 150
  • Last Modified:

How to mount a recovered exchange 2007 mail database

I have replaced a failed exchange 2007 server with new hardware.

I ran setup with the repair switch and sucessfully recovered the Exchange config from AD.

I created a new database and the users now have empty mailboxes but they can send and receive emails

I am at a loss of how to remount the recovered mail database so that I move the mailboxes into the new database.

The recovered  mailbox database is good - I checked its intregity with eseutil /mh - it is clean.

How do I go about mounting this in the new Exchange 2007 so I can import the the mailboxes ?

Thanks
0
zoltan9992000
Asked:
zoltan9992000
2 Solutions
 
ArmenioCommented:
I could be wrong but I do not think there is an easy way to achieve what you want. as you created a new DB I would have mounted the old DB not a new one. (im not an exchange expert :-) )

You can try mounting the DB and exporting the mail to PST then importing it  into the new DB

This and this may help.
https://www.simple-talk.com/sysadmin/exchange/goodbye-exchange-exmerge,-hello-export-mailbox/
http://msexchangeteam.in/recovery-database-in-exchange-server-2013/

Something else to try
http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp


Did you by any chance use Shadow Protect for Backup.
0
 
VB ITSSpecialist ConsultantCommented:
Were you able to recover the log files as well? If so you can create a Recovery Storage Group and recover the mailboxes this way: http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2007/high-availability-recovery/Working-Recovery-Storage-Groups-Exchange-2007.html
0
 
Gareth GudgerCommented:
Hey Zoltan,

So you basically did a dial tone recovery. This is what the entire process looks like.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb310773(v=exchg.80).aspx

In that article you have already done Steps 1 and 2. Step 3 is where you need to be.
0
Problems using Powershell and Active Directory?

Managing Active Directory does not always have to be complicated.  If you are spending more time trying instead of doing, then it's time to look at something else. For nearly 20 years, AD admins around the world have used one tool for day-to-day AD management: Hyena. Discover why

 
Gareth GudgerCommented:
Hey Zoltan,

You have actually performed the first two steps of a dial tone recovery. Check this article here.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb310773(v=exchg.80).aspx

Proceed on from step 3. Basically you need to use the Database Recovery Management tool under Tools in EMC.
0
 
zoltan9992000Author Commented:
Thanks Guys,

I had seen those articles but they all tell you how to recover by restoring using a  backup program i.e. using ntbackup or similar.

They are also very confusing to read

( mind you we staretd the process on Friday afternoon and got to this point on Sunday night/ Monday at 1am with almost no breaks)

I only had a standalone databse. I could find no information at all on this on the interweb of how to mount it in recovery storage group

In the end it was actually very simple -

if I remember the steps correctly-

created a new recovery database

marked it as being able to be restored/overwritten

went to the recovery database location

deleted the new recovery database

copied in my standalone database

changed the name to match that of the recovery database I deleted a moment ago.

remounted this new database using EMC tools troubleshooting

swapped the databases over to make the recovery one the active database

merged the databases

This is from memory after 48 hours of working so may not be 100% - please feel free to post corrections .

Next morning all the local Outlook clients worked and had old emails and new ones from dial tone database.

Offsite clients did not work but probably need the commercial cert installing on the server.

Some phones had to have the exchange deleted and re-created.

Still neeed to do a cleanup and delete the recovery storage group - this can wait for a week.

So in conclusion - database was from the of same AD setup as on the repaired server, it needs to be in clean shutdown state, then follow the above steps.

Hope this is of help to someone else

Thanks for the prompt assistance - your answers were good and and only needed adapting to get the standalone database mounted in the recovery storage group  

Paul
0
 
Gareth GudgerCommented:
Glad you got it going!
0
 
ArmenioCommented:
well done
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Subnet Calculator

The subnet calculator helps you design networks by taking an IP address and network mask and returning information such as network, broadcast address, and host range.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now