Hello, I have a HP Probook 4540s and the audio is not working. The speaker icon in the system tray has an X over it.
I have tried the following:
1. reinstall the drivers - I get an error that says no device found
2. disabled and re-enabled the audio device in the bios
3. upgraded the bios (did this before step 2)
4. restored to a restore point to about a month old
I am not sure when the user started having the problem.
I called HP and they sent a hardware guy out and HP is claiming that it is a Windows issues and I have to reinstall Win7.
1. Does the restore point essentially bring me back in time? Perhaps I don't have an old enough restore point so that does not fix the problem.
2. Can I reload the portion of Windows that would help me avoid resetting up the system?
I would prefer not to reinstall but I may have to.. trying to make this a quicker fix if that is a valid and good option.
Thanks for any options.