I am a beginner at configuring a SQL cluster. I have done so for a DHCP cluster previously.
My questions are:
- The most important question: Do you run the failover clustering configuration in Server 2008 R2 server manager first before installing SQL or do you install and configure SQL 2008 on one or both nodes on the two servers your going to cluster first, then run the Failover cluster management configuration in server manager?
- Do you run failover cluster manager on one or both servers prior to configuring your cluster?
- When do you connect to the SQL database? I am going to be importing a backup of another database. Does it go on both servers in the cluster prior to creating the cluster?
- When you set up iSCSI and attach it to the two servers, does it matter if the drive letters match?
- does the IP of the second nic need to be a private ip such as 192.168.X.X or does it need to be on the same subnet as NIC 1 which is the actual server management IP?
- Does the cluster IP need to have an IP that matches the 2 servers subnets or an IP that matches the 2nd nic which i'm guessing is used for heart beat purpuses?
Do you have to install the application server role on each server prior to setting up the cluster ?
- Any other important information you can point out?
Thanks in advance.