I have tried to create a simple website blocking solution by telling Internet Explorer their is a proxy that doesn't exist. Then I put the websites I want the users to get to in the "bypass proxy for these addresses" box.
It works sort of effectively except for a couple issues:
The home page for them when they open takes 2 minutes to come up and most times is very skewed. Elements are in the wrong places, links don't work and so on. The ip for the web address is unpingable.
Some pages pass off to an https and, for some reason after the pass, the page doesn't load. I am guessing it is opening like another frame which is secure but I can't get that address.
I need this to work for 5 workstations so I was wondering if there was a simpler, cheap solution to this I could implement that other people have used and tested. Maybe free software that creates a password protected whitelist or something.
Let me know.