Solved

Seperate DNS records for Exchange 2013 at one IP and website at different IP

Posted on 2014-11-06
9
94 Views
Last Modified: 2014-11-12
We have an Exchange 2013 server that is in house and all is well. We want to host the website for our domain at GoDaddy. When I went to setup the website hosting, the DNS records were changed. No big deal, but the problem I have found is that when the A record for the domain (@ record) is pointed to the GoDaddy IP address for the website, Exchange can send mail but cannot receive mail. When I point the A record (@ record) back to our IP address in our office, Exchange works just fine. I'm a little stumped because the Exchange server was intentionally setup so it did not point to the domain alone. Instead it points to outlook.mydomain.com. Is there a way to find out why this A record is breaking Exchange?
0
Comment
Question by:LamboOK
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 6
  • 2
9 Comments
 
LVL 2

Expert Comment

by:Amish Sanghrajka
ID: 40427515
Hi,

This is a rather odd one. Have you received any NDR's for emails sent when the A record was set to the new site? If so this could help in trying to narrow down the issue. It is odd that changing the A record is preventing Exchange from receiving emails. Have you tried checking if OWA works (if you've set it up) after changing that A record?

Kind regards,
Amish.
0
 

Author Comment

by:LamboOK
ID: 40427533
I agree. I haven't ran into something like this before, especially with Exchange. MX records are pretty plain and simple. I haven't received any NDR's since I have allowed time for the DNS records to refresh. I received a "Server error 452....temporary failure", but I believe that is because I started testing before the records had time to refresh. . Another odd problem to the mix. I can confirm from multiple locations and internally my owa works fine.
0
 

Author Comment

by:LamboOK
ID: 40427540
One more thing. When I run a connectivity test from Microsoft's site for Inbound SMTP. It does fail after I change that A record. The test results show that it was first trying to resolve: mydomain.com and it fails. Then it tries to resolve mydomain.com:443 and it fails. It never gets to trying to resolve outlook.mydomain.com.
0
Are your AD admin tools letting you down?

Managing Active Directory can get complicated.  Often, the native tools for managing AD are just not up to the task.  The largest Active Directory installations in the world have relied on one tool to manage their day-to-day administration tasks: Hyena. Start your trial today.

 
LVL 2

Expert Comment

by:Amish Sanghrajka
ID: 40427544
Are your MX records pointing to mydomain.com or to outlook.mydomain.com?
0
 

Author Comment

by:LamboOK
ID: 40427551
I have an A record with a host of "outlook" that points to my IP for where the Exchange server is. Then I have an MX record that has a host of "outlook" that points to outlook.mydomain.com
0
 

Author Comment

by:LamboOK
ID: 40427697
Microsoft Connectivity passes everything with my Exchange server except outbound SMTP test fails. The inbound SMTP passes with this warning, "Attempting to find the SPF record using a DNS TEXT record query. The Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer wasn't able to find the SPF record."
0
 

Author Comment

by:LamboOK
ID: 40427700
So, I can send mail from Exchange server no problem. I can receive e-Mail from users inside the Exchange domain. BUT, I cannot receive e-Mail from users outside the Exchange domain.
0
 
LVL 63

Accepted Solution

by:
Simon Butler (Sembee) earned 500 total points
ID: 40428241
You need to check that you have

a. Specific A record for the host name for Exchange.
b. Specific MX record for your domain pointing at that host name.

It is important that you have specific records, otherwise the wildcard entries will be populated.

I would also use some of the public tools to verify how the internet will see your DNS records.

Simon.
0
 

Author Comment

by:LamboOK
ID: 40438194
Looks like it was the MX record after all. Made changes and can now confirm issue has been resolved. I appreciate the assistance!
0

Featured Post

Edgartown IT Case Study

Learn about Edgartown's quest to ensure the safety and security of the entire town's employee and citizen data. Read the case study!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Scam emails are a huge burden for many businesses. Spotting one is not always easy. Follow our tips to identify if an email you receive is a scam.
In-place Upgrading Dirsync to Azure AD Connect
In this Micro Video tutorial you will learn the basics about Database Availability Groups and How to configure one using a live Exchange Server Environment. The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability grou…
This video demonstrates how to sync Microsoft Exchange Public Folders with smartphones using CodeTwo Exchange Sync and Exchange ActiveSync. To learn more about CodeTwo Exchange Sync and download the free trial, go to: http://www.codetwo.com/excha…

733 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question