I have two Hyper-V hosts, each host runs about 4 -8 virtual machines. Both servers are HP Proliant Gen8. And I have 4 old HP servers running AD DC, file server, etc..
I have an old Veritas file backup application which does only file level backup.
I am also currently using Windows Server Backup with BareMetal, System State, C drive, etc selected. But it seems it has limitation;
1. It overwrites the previous backup in I run the backup to network share
2. It can only restore the whole virtual machines? no single virtual machine?
3. If I want to restore files from the hyper-v virtual machine, It's not possible. For this reason, I run two backup, one with Windows Backup for virtual machines and one with Veritas for files.
For the above reasons, I think I have to purchase commercial version which does;
1. Backup Hyper-V host configuration, Virtual machines at image level bacup.
2. It allows file level, virtual machine image restore from the image backup.
3. CHEAP. (Boss wants more, but says no money
Which one do you use now? Or, do you use Windows Server Backup with some trick or tweak to accomplish both file and image level restore for virtual machines?