?
Solved

SharePoint User Profile Sync (UPS) issues

Posted on 2014-11-18
1
Medium Priority
?
1,806 Views
Last Modified: 2014-11-20
Every time I try to enable UPS SharePoint Profile Synchronization in the Manage Profile Service: User Profile Service, the service appears to work great and everything is fine, however some things end up breaking. When it is on Sync instead of Import from AD, the org chart no longer functions as expected. It only shows the current user  (no vertical or horizontal org display). I checked on this and it appears that, during sync, the manger option is removed from user profiles.

Also, I have enabled Export of the thumbnailPhoto attribute in SP. So, when users upload their photos, it should periodically export those photo thumbnails into my AD database. No errors that I can find anywhere, however the attribute is still null in AD for all current users with photos. I have double checked the mapping for this attribute, and thumbnailPhoto is set to export in sharepoint.

Switching the sync option back from profile sync to AD import fixes the org chart issue, (adds managers back in) but that won't work if I want to sync the picture (and possibly let my end users modify some information about themselves) from SP into AD. Anyone seen anything like this?

I've added some things from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh296982.aspx for permissions hoping that it would help me out. I went into the "Edit User Profile Property" so I can see the options and it looks right to me... "Property Mapping for Synchronization" is set to manager with the direction set to import. Interestingly.. even though it has permission to replicate changes to AD it doesn't remove the manager from AD. I haven't witnessed the sync changing anything in AD at all so that makes me thing that, for some reason, I don't have some settings properly set.

For a little background, I use a user profile called SPServices to handle the User Profile service and it is set as an admin of that service with full control. Like I mentioned above, I followed the technet article and added relevant replication permissions, write permissions, and create child object permissions.

EDIT: I completely reconfigured the User Profile Service with a different account (SPUSERPROFILE) and followed every guide I could find to the letter (including http://blogs.technet.com/b/nishants/archive/2012/02/21/how-to-sync-picture-from-sharepoint-to-active-directory-and-hence-to-outlook-and-lync.aspx because I really would like the picture export functionality). Everything appears to be starting up fine, running the sync fine, making the connection to AD with my new Sync Connection.. but it does the exact same thing. The Manager attribute is immediately removed even though I didn't modify the access mapping at all (it is still set to import).
0
Comment
Question by:MBisch
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
1 Comment
 

Accepted Solution

by:
MBisch earned 0 total points
ID: 40455334
I was finally able to roll through some errors I found in miisedit (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\15.0\Synchronization Service\UIShell\miisclient.exe) and found one particular error that stated:

One or more errors occurred. ---> Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileException: Exception while trying to migrate account 'DOMAIN\user' to 'DIFFERENTDOMAIN\user'. ---> Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: The user does not exist or is not unique.

After some searching, I found some other users having a similar issue by searching the fields for the error title "ma-extension-error" and came across a guide to enable Import NetBIOS Domain Names.

SharePoint 2013 Management Shell
Get-SPServiceApplication

<lists the Service Applications and their GUIDs>

$UPA = Get-SPServiceApplication –Id <GUID of User Profile Service Application which is listed from previous string>

$UPA.NetBIOSDomainNamesEnabled=1

$UPA.Update()

Open in new window

Code from iedaddy.com

Then, after resetting my SharePoint connector (Configure Synchronization Connections) I was finally able to get this to work. This solution fixed both the manager issue I was having and the picture export issue. I can only assume manager was broken because of the domain.NetBIOS domain name not being the same.

The only remaining issue is a permission-issue  (Insufficient access rights to perform the operation.) on 18 of my users. Every user in the list has elevated permissions, and includes our entire IT department, so I assume there is some simple modification I can change to get replication to work on these users.
0

Featured Post

Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

When using a search centre, I'm going to show you how to configure Sharepoint's search to only return results from the current site collection. Very useful when using Office 365 with multiple site collections.
Let's recap what we learned from yesterday's Skyport Systems webinar.
Attackers love to prey on accounts that have privileges. Reducing privileged accounts and protecting privileged accounts therefore is paramount. Users, groups, and service accounts need to be protected to help protect the entire Active Directory …
This video shows how to use Hyena, from SystemTools Software, to update 100 user accounts from an external text file. View in 1080p for best video quality.
Suggested Courses

752 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question