Backup methods, which is the best?
Posted on 2014-11-18
I'm familiar with simple backup and restore methods, but wanna know about a professional backup plan.
Just had some questions on backing up data (my flash drives and laptop HDD) to a new 4TB external USB HDD. And please don't talk about backing up to cloud.
1. What is the best methods among the below:
a. Backing up the whole HDD as an image to another.
b. Backing up individual partitions as images to another HDD.
c. Backing up individual files.
2. What is a shadow copy concerning backup process in windows, and can it be useful to me for my personal files?
3. What's the difference between Incremential and Differential Backups? Does incremential remove the old files in the full backup and replaces them with new ones? Does Differential keep both versions of files?
4. I myself don't like windows 7 backup features, and used paid software to backup data (like acronis). What are the downsides of using windows backup from reliability, speed, recoverablity aspects?
5. I also want to know about your own experience on backups.
The most complete answer wins the most points.