My Documents folder not working after redirection with multiple issues
Posted on 2014-11-22
Well after six hours, I have given up. I can only do more damage. It will be hard for your to help, because my guess is my explanation will not be very helpful. Client is Win 7 Pro. Server is SBS 2008.
So starting at the beginning. At least a year ago, I redirected my Documents folder to the data drive of my server. \\server (as my server name is server). The actual folder was/is "bert" so it is located at \\server\bert. From my client computer, I can see the redirected folder with the green icon at the bottom left signifying it is a redirected folder. This worked fine for a long time, but generally when something is working well, I usually try to change things and end up breaking it. I had "temporarily" put the contents of a flash drive in My Documents so I could use the flash drive for something else. It was 40 GBs. So, the contents of \\server\bert becamse 45 GBs. I had no idea how some (many) documents and files had grown so large. I needed space on my data drive so I moved it to another partition. I am rather sure I did this with Properties > Move, but it is possible, I just copied and pasted it. Seems with the former the folder would have moved.
Using TreeSize, I finally realized where the large amount of GBs came from. All of the files and documents are now safely copied and pasted to a hard drive off the server. I don't know if my Documents folder was redirecting to the new location, but it has since been deleted as I didn't see the need for my nightly backup to back up 45 GBs of data that I wasn't really using on a daily basis. So, that may have broken something as well. Again, I did save the data physically.
The My Documents location is in C:\Users\username\Documents
So, now this is what I am left with:
When I click on Documents on the Start Menu, it takes me to the Documents library. Under name, it says bert (\\server) (4). There are four files in the folder which are also in the shared folder on the server named "bert," which would make sense. If I add or delete a file, in either folder, it is added or deleted in the other. Of course, it is now just acting like I have access to a shared folder. If I try to delete the folder "USB Drive" which previously had contained the extra 40 GBs of data, I get the error message, 0x80070091: The directory is not empty, even though properties shows it to have 0 files or folders and contains 0 bytes. One of the files is also called "Default.rdp," and has the RDP icon. When I go to Sync Setup, there are no sync partnerships, nor can I see any way to set one up.
But, if I go to Manage offline files > View your offline files > \\server\bert\ and open it, all of the files and folders are there including the USB Drive folder. It contains several Microsoft iso files all of which are zero bytes. Making it even more confusing (for me anyway) is when you click on Disk Usage on the Offline Files window, it says 7.12 GBs in use (43.5 GB available). These are all offline files.
I suppose I could live with this. Just point the Documents on the Start Menu to My Documents in users\username, but there is just one issue that has arisen.
When I try to use Windows Fax and Scan, I get the error message: Windows Fax and Scan cannot run as it cannot access your documents folder. Please ensure that Windows Fax and Scan can access that folder. And, after trying to run it and getting the error message, it leaves a folder in Documents in \\server\bert called Fax\Drafts.
1. Return My Documents to its original state so I can confidently copy the files back
2. Remove the \\server\bert\ folder from the server
3. Hopefully, this will fix Windows Fax and Scan
Thanks. Sorry for the poor explanation. It's hard to remember everything that has taken place since the past year.