Useful and best Excel tools for analyzing sales data
Posted on 2014-11-24
This is a general question about how to most simply & efficiently use Excel tools to analyze sales data contained in a spreadsheet. My goal is to obtain some general guidelines which I can then begin to learn and apply. And I'm sure that process will spawn additional, more specific EE threads.
For example, suppose you've got a spreadsheet containing sales transactions (numbering in the thousands) in which each row represents a single transaction and column headings are as follows:
From that data, suppose you want to create a summary chart(s) showing information such as the following:
• Number of transactions per month.
• Number of customers making purchases per month.
• Number of new vs. established customers making purchases per month.
a) where "established" is defined as existing in a separate spreadsheet
b) where "established" is defined as existing earlier in the same spreadsheet
• Characteristics of dollar amount per sale (eg average dollar amt per sale, etc)
a) including chart showing distribution curve
• Purchase patterns vs. time of day.
• Any of the above broken down by, for example, Custom1 Yes vs. No
What would be the best way to approach this?