I have a client who had a corrupted OS Windows 7 Premium Home, runing on a HP desktop. I did a factory restore, but now we can not install the laserjet1020 properly. Install wizard under Devices and Printers-Add a Printer installs the printer and prints a test page successfully, but when I exit, no printer shows in Devices and Printers. It does show in MS Word, but printing stalls with a printing error in the queue. I have tried:
1) updating printer drivers in Windows Update under printers install
2) running sfc /scannow, shows no OS file errors
3) restarting print service
4) downloading HP's software installation package for the printer. The printer then shows in the Devices and Printers, but any attempt to print creates a printing error in the queue.
5) switching printers with another identical printer from the office. Behavior is same.
6) running printermanagement.msc, but OS does not seem to find that management tool. Isn't that supposed to be part of Windows 7?
I'm stumped. Any ideas on how to fix this problem? Thanks for any help.