Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 815
  • Last Modified:

Address Lists display no content in Outlook 2013

Hello everyone,

Address lists like All Contacts appear empty when viewed in Outlook 2013 when the Name only option is selected in the Address Book. For profiles that are setup in cached mode, the Global Address List displays names properly (thanks to the OAB), but users who are not using cached mode are unable to see any content in the GAL. Address lists and the GAL display normally when viewed through OWA. Oddly, Address Lists display normally in Outlook 2003 as well. Outlook 2013 simply refuses to display the list content when viewing Address Lists.


Background info:
-I'm running Exchange on Win 2008, patched up to date.
-6 months ago we upgraded from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010. All 2007 servers have been decommissioned and removed from the domain.
-I'm in the middle of an Office 2003 to 2013 upgrade, and the issue wasn't noticed earlier because 2003 has no issues displaying the Address Lists
-We have no intention of offering email services outside our company, so we elected not to get a SAN ssl certificate and we are using a domain CA signed certificate for everything

Originally I thought it might be OAB related, but OAB's are generating regularly, getting replicated to the CAS servers normally, and updating automatically on my users machines.
I tried recreating all of the Address Lists and even created a new Global address list but the issue still persists

I've run through guides like this that outline setting msExchQueryBaseDN to <not set> after modifying ADSI permissions for the Address List Container and subsequent objects, but it had no effect.
http://www.waronerrors.com/kb/global-address-list-is-empty-after-exchange-2010-sp1-installation-when-configured-for-address-list-segregation.aspx

I have checked/tried a slew of other ranging from URL settings to encryption requirements, but I haven't been able to make any headway with these Address Lists.  My gut tells me this is SSL related. I'm willing to give anything a second or third shot so if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks in advanced for the help
Sam
0
sloutz
Asked:
sloutz
  • 2
1 Solution
 
sloutzAuthor Commented:
Turns out it was a technical culture issue between our English Outlook clients and our Active Directory which is installed on a  Japanese OS.  A simple reg hack to tell outlook to ignore GAL phonetics fixed the display issue for all our Address Lists
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2532293/ja
0
 
sloutzAuthor Commented:
This will be an isolated solution for mixed-culture technical environments, but hopefully helpful for people who have a parent company based in a non-english speaking country.
0

Featured Post

Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now